It's quite amazing… a country girl and a city boy (that's us), both getting a whole lot of insight from the content of this post.
The words below may be simple… but oh so true. It rolls right into our favorite saying, “Life is simple, people complicate it”.
It's amazing how a simple way of looking at things can bring such deep insight to life.
So please enjoy… we definitely did!
Cowboy's Guide To Life
by Bob Hardison
- Most of the stuff people worry about ain't never gonna happen anyway.
- Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
- Words that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.
- Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
- Forgive your enemies. It messes up their heads.
- Don't sell your mule to buy a plow.
- If you're ridin' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there with ya.
- Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you. You cannot unsay a cruel word.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
- Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
- The easiest way to eat crow is while it's still warm. The colder it gets, the harder it is to swaller.
- If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
- The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with looks at you in the mirror every mornin'.
- Don't worry about bitin' off more ‘n you can chew; your mouth is probably a whole lot bigger'n you think.
- Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
- Remember: Don't squat with your spurs on.
- Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.
- If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
- Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back in.
- The best sermons are lived, not preached.
- Keep skunks and politicians and lawyers at a distance.
- It don't take a very big person to carry a grudge.
- If it don't seem like it's worth the effort, it probably ain't.
- It's better to be a has-been than a never-was.
- Meanness don't jest happen overnight.
- When you wallow with pigs, expect to git dirty.
And our additions to the list
- If you step in a cowpie (shit), make sure it's well aged.
- Don't say “giddyap” before you have your boots in the stirrups and your hands on the reins.